Monday, August 11, 2008

Typical Visit - Initial Plan

I'll shortly be sending out Emails to the schools I hope to visit on either side of the AEI convention at the end of September. That's forced me to consider what I want to accomplish during each visit and therefore how I should structure it - recognizing that individual schedules are likely to make this ideal seldom achieved.

I've allocated two days for each visit in the hope that will allow enough time to talk at some length with all who have a hand in teaching AE design, as well as observing several classes.

I'm suggesting as well that I give a seminar presentation early in my visit so I can pass on what I've learned about the way AE design is taught at the various schools and my thoughts about the issues facing the profession. My hope is that this talk will stimulate discussion with the faculty and students.

Below are my thoughts about the ideal outline. I welcome suggestions for changes and improvements.

Day-1
  • Meet with Visit Host(s)
  • Visit Dept. Head
  • Give Seminar on "Teaching AE Design"
  • Tour facilities
  • Lunch with faculty
  • Visit individual faculty in offices
  • Observe Classes

Day-2
  • Visit individual faculty in offices
  • Observe classes
  • Final meeting with any interested - what I observed and learned

A note about the "host" function. I don't want it to be burdensome. I hope that they'd help organize the visits within the department. I'll organize all my own travel, lodging and meals.